Roger is a partner focusing on corporate and securities law.
Roger advises on public market mergers and acquisitions, equity
capital market transactions, business reorganisations, corporate governance and
He is a member of the Takeovers Panel, the Institute of Directors in New Zealand, the Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand (INFINZ) and the executive of the Listed Companies Association.
He is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and as a notable practitioner by Chambers Asia-Pacific. Chambers Asia-Pacific's 2016 guide reports he is a “real leader in the capital markets space" and is “very commercially astute." He also won the 2014, 2012, 2011 and 2010 International Law Office General Corporate Client Choice Award. Roger is ranked as a leading lawyer by IFLR1000 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2017, and Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018.
Roger has advised:
- NZX-listed Turners Automotive Group on its listing on ASX
- Trilogy International on its acquisition of 80% of Lanocorp New Zealand for $12.5m plus future earnout payments
- Goldman Sachs and Forsyth Barr as underwriters on Kiwi Property Group’s $161m AREO
- First NZ Capital as underwriters of Orion Health’s $32m rights issue
- Tower and its directors in relation to the $197m negotiated full takeover being made by Fairfax Financial Holdings by scheme of arrangement and the competing $219m unsolicited proposal received from Vero New Zealand
- NZX-listed code company Airwork Holdings in response to the $211.4m partial takeover offer by Zhejiang Rifa Holding Group Co. Limited (RIFA) to acquire 75% of Airwork
- NZX-listed Turners on its $34 million cash acquisition of the Autosure Insurance business from Suncorp New Zealand
- Arvida Group on its $42m underwritten pro rata rights issue and shortfall bookbuild and its acquisitions of the Cascades Retirement resort in Hamilton, the Bethlehem Views care facility and Copper Crest Village Estate retirement village in Tauranga, and Lauriston Park retirement village in Cambridge
- Bartel Holdings’ on the sale of a 10.74% strategic stake in T&G Global for $38.8m to Golden Wing Mau Agricultural Produce Corporation
- Trilogy International on its underwritten $20m placement, $5m share purchase plan, and its ASX listing application, and The Business Bakery on its $30m block trade
- Arvida Group on its $20m acquisition of Lansdowne Park retirement village, and its $62m acquisition of the Aria retirement villages, and associated $30m equity placement by book build offer, and $5m Share Purchase Plan
- Goldman Sachs as lead manager and bookrunner on the $185m Investore IPO and NZX Main Board listing
- First NZ Capital as arranger of Wynyard's $30m rights issue
- Lendlease on the sale of its New Zealand retirement village portfolio to the Blackstone Tactical Opportunities fund, following a contested sale process
- Vector on its sale of subsidiary Vector Gas, owner of gas transmission pipelines and gas distribution networks outside of Auckland, to two infrastructure funds managed by First State Investments for $952.5m, following a contested international sale process
- G3 Group on its $40m compliance listing, the first company to list on NZX’s new NXT market, designed for small and mid-sized businesses, and
- Arvida Group on all aspects of its 2014 $80m IPO and NZX Main Board listing, in conjunction with an acquisition of 17 aged care facilities for scrip for a deal value of $329m.