Te Aopare specialises in corporate and commercial law, with a focus on structuring and general commercial advice for iwi and hapū entities, Māori businesses, Māori landowners and private equity clients.
Te Aopare advises clients on a range of corporate and commercial matters including general governance and structuring advice and, in particular, advising joint ventures and clients who are buying, selling and investing into businesses. She has also appeared before the Māori Land Court.
Te Aopare is from Ngāti Porou and Ngāti Rangitihi; she is a fluent speaker of Te Reo Māori and is a member of our Māori Legal Group, Te Waka Ture.
Te Aopare has advised:
- the Iwi Collective Partnership, on a complex fishing joint venture between 12 iwi which included the documentation of the partnership structure
- Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei on its significant and complex Treaty settlement, including the post-settlement governance entity and a new tax efficient group structure for the iwi and the settlement with the Crown
- Ngāti Tuwharetoa on the corporate structure for its proposed health and social services initiatives
- Ngāti Porou Whānui Forests on its forestry activities, including with respect to the Emissions Trading Scheme
- Waikato-Tainui, including both its tribal parliament Te Kauhanganui and its executive Te Arataura
- Knox Investment Partners on its acquisition and divestment programme, and
- AMP in relation to the New Zealand aspects of its merger with AXA Asia Pacific Holdings. The New Zealand aspect of the transaction was valued at A$4b and the whole transaction at A$13b.