Victoria’s background is in general commercial litigation but she has particular expertise in judicial review, administrative law, public law, and regulatory litigation and enforcement.
Victoria has market leading expertise in administrative law disputes, and regulatory investigations, litigation and enforcement. She acts for a wide range of private sector and public sector clients in relation to issues arising from the use of unilateral power. She advises frequently on the scope and limits of the contractual power of the Crown, statutory powers, and consultation and other obligations. As part of that she assists clients to navigate a variety of contentious regulatory investigations by Government agencies including the FMA, Commerce Commission, IRD, RBNZ and Overseas Investment Office. This includes management of complex document request and interviews with regulators, advice on the scope of regulatory powers, negotiated outcomes, and settlements.
She is recommended by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 for her public law and dispute resolution experience.
Victoria aims to develop long-term relationships with clients, enabling her to deliver proactive advice, relevant to the clients’ commercial objectives.
- a number of significant financial markets participants in relation to potential breaches of regulatory obligations, regulatory investigation including risk of liability, and strategic response
- acted for the NZ Transport Agency on its role in procurement and nationwide rollout of integrated ticketing systems for regional public transport networks
assisted a major retail bank to manage legal risk around default and credit fees, including management of a Commerce Commission investigation, engagement with the FMA legal advice, supporting the development of pricing strategies, and assistance in preparing submissions on relevant legislative change
- Ōtākaro in relation to a range of Public Law issues including application of the Official Information Act
- Intueri Education Group in relation to the TEC investigations into the Dive School and Quantum Education Group
- the Electricity Networks Association providing advice on the powers of the Electricity Authority
- a DHB in relation to the legal issues arising from the potential disposition of surplus land, and
- the Egg Producers Federation of New Zealand in relation to a Regulations Review Committee complaint.