Vivian is a tax law specialist.
Vivian advises clients on all aspects of tax law, with particular expertise in corporate restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions and cross border taxation. She is also recognised as one of the leading legal experts in New Zealand on FATCA and the automatic exchange of financial account information.
Vivian is experienced in representing clients in engagements with Inland Revenue, including managing investigations/tax disputes, negotiating tax settlements, obtaining binding rulings, and seeking legislative amendments and policy reform.
Prior to joining Chapman Tripp in 2012, Vivian was a Special Counsel at another large national law firm.
Vivian’s recent experience includes advising:
- major banks and other financial institutions on identifying and managing their obligations under FATCA and, more recently, the Common Reporting Standard for automatic exchange of financial account information (AEOI)
- a major multinational group on the restructuring of its New Zealand operations
- an international agricultural investment company on its acquisition of agricultural assets in New Zealand
- a leading freight and logistics management company on structuring its strategic freight alliance arrangements
- a major petroleum company in relation to the operation of the petroleum mining regime, including seeking amendments to correct material errors in the legislation
- various investors on the structuring of their investments in major infrastructure projects, and
- on tax aspects of the IPO of a major New Zealand company.